Saturday, August 7, 2010

Versailles

We aimed to get to Versailles at 9 am this morning, but it ended up more like 11:15 because of kids, and just the wear and tear of getting out that early. But- we finally did it!

Unfortunately, one of the train lines was canceled, so that added a lot of time to how long we thought it was going to take us- but again... "Noth'ns going to stop us now..."

If he hasn't told you already, Steve loathes Versailles. I think it's because last time we came, there were 5 million people and we only toured the main Palace (and he hates rococo). So, this time, we skipped the main Palace, and just toured Marie Antoinette's estate and the gardens. We had a great time...there is just too much to see- I think it would be great to do it in 2 days!


We stopped on the grass and had a picnic which was one of the highlights of the day. Unfortunately, Maddie got stung by a bee... so that was a little dramatic. But, after it wore off, she was a champ and was already feeding the swans and ducks. This place is out of this world. I would love to go back in time and see these people live here. It must have been quite a sight. And- to see them dethroned and then later decapitated... crazy.

In the love dome...

I think the Hamlet is my favorite. If I were Marie-Antoinette, I would definitely have stayed here. I don't think I've ever seen the water lily's like this... and of course the house is gorgeous.


Out of a storybook... it's kind of funny to see the "real" thing after seeing so many replicas of this type of look.

All of the buildings were closed unfortunately, but the gardens were alive. The pond was packed full of carp.

I was excited to go the little farm (obviously for the kids)... and they really liked it.

This pig was so overweight... we didn't know if it was pregnant! It's stomach was dragging on the grass!

So beautiful and relaxing...


In front of Marie-Antoinette's Petit Trianon.


No detail overlooked.

We loved this place!

Most of the crowds are at the beginning of the grounds... and it was so tranquil to get away and overlook the grand canal (they brought venice to them!). I would have liked to spend more time here, but because it takes so long to walk around... we were already running late!

A more modern portion of the gardens (obviously added later).

As we were walking back, we heard blasting classical music and stumbled upon the fountain performance! We were mesmorized to the water synchronized to each stanza... it was awesome.

Watching the show...
The mobs of crowds leaving Versailles when it closed at 5:30. I would love to have a cool friend who could get me into this place for a private tour. That would be awesome.

1 comment:

The Gilberts said...

Totally my dream!!! I was in Paris for 3 days and I couldn't convince others in my group to go with me to Versailles-- amazing! Definitely taking two days to see it-- wow.