Monday, August 16, 2010

Aquarium, Bread and Roses and a Puppet Show

Yesterday, we only went out twice- once for church and once to walk 5 blocks because we felt bad we hadn't gotten out all day. So- there isn't much to post... but imagine lots of relaxation. Because there was a lot of it. It also rained all of yesterday, which was perfect timing since we weren't planning on doing much.

But- it did rain much of today. Which at first, almost started to drag me down, but we're in Paris, right? Who cares about the rain?

So- I woke up the earliest I've woken up, put on my running shoes, and went for a run! I took a picture this morning of how WET I was when I got back, but somehow it got erased. Anyhow, it was wonderful. No one was out. The rain was pouring and I was running. I ran down from our neighborhood, crossed one of the bridges on the Seine and ran alongside the river until I thought "I better start running back!" It was great- and I'm planning on doing more of that before we leave.

We then decided to give in and pay the big EURO bucks and see the aquarium since it was a good activity to do in the rain (besides the Louvre which the kids could probably stand for 10 minutes).


Of course, it is hard to beat the Monterrey Aquarium, but I think this one stood on it's own. Not for the most amazing fish, but for the creativity that went into the concept of it. Instead of just "an aquarium" it was a CINEaquarium, which I would never think of... movie + aquarium. So, there are ten exhibits of fish, and then there is a movie theatre playing a movie (Iceage played first, and then an adorable french kids movie)... more fish... and then another movie theatre. It was very cool.


I couldn't really take pictures inside since it was so dark, but I tried to take a pic of the girls looking at fish at this very long exposure time, and Maddie disappeared because she was moving. Kind of cool!


This is was one of my favorites... they showed the life cycle of one of the fish... from very young on the left... to almost out of it's mermaid purse (egg?). Super neat to see the fish attached to their placentas while they were wiggling around.

They also had super cool exhibits here and there... including this green screen where the kids could act and see themselves on the big screen. Here, Steve and Maddie are dancing to some techno music...


Here is them on the screen...

Here are the brave souls running away from the dinosaur!! AH!

On the screen! So funny.
When we got out-- it was still POURING. But, we decided to still forge ahead and visit a bakery I had read about- Bread and Roses (nevermind that it was pretty far away.. but we made it).

This place is beautiful-- I guess they call it a "Haute Bakery." And the price shows.

Of course gorgeous and perfect. But, not so perfect when you have a gluten free mom, and two kids under the age of 4 and a dad who is having a little bit of indigestion! Oh. Just not the perfect time or perfect people, but it was still nice. Maybe when I'm by myself, I'll go back in and dream about those perfect little treats.

We then walked to Luxemborg gardens again to catch a marionette show. The theatre was adorable... a little kids theatre with the works, little benches, little stage. Like the opera, but for little kids.

We really couldn't catch much of the plot (sadly), but it was very entertaining, colorful, creative, funny, had great music. The french kids were having a ball interacting with the show. It was awesome.

It had dancing mice, dancing frogs, signing cows, a goofy dog... Maddie loved it.

On a more practical note, traveling with kids is a challenge let's face it. We sometimes dream of the days when we came and could plan our days as we wished. Boy, we should have appreciated it more back then. Now, we are pushing a double stroller, making sure that everyone is fed at all times of day, kissing knees and elbows that fell on the metro or cobblestones... it is very different. Very wonderful and rewarding, and let's hope they remember 1/100 of what we did... but very different. I think this can somewhat explain why we are both DEAD tired laying on our bed.
I'm hoping for clearer skies tomorrow! Au revoir!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I am amazed every day to see something new and totally awesome for kids. I keep thinking surely you've done it all! Your run in the rain sounds really dreamy . . . so does that beautiful bakery. I wish you could have eaten everything!