Friday, August 28, 2009

August 28th

Steve and I have been married ten years. It is surreal to feel life passing so quickly, especially on days like this.

Ten years ago, I had a very different perception of what love was and how marriage would be. It was more of a Hollywoodized fairytale version where I thought everything would be more or less perfect- we would have fabulous careers, a beautiful family, would never argue, and would happily go grocery shopping together.

Now, I'd like to think that I'm getting a better grasp of what love is (in the romantic sense). Of course, this is going to be a lifetime of learning, but I'm starting to see it as I live it. It's just one of those things that you have to do in order to understand (just like you don't really understand how it it is to have a child until you have one).

I think the biggest lesson I've learned is sort of summarized in this quote I've kept:

"A true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that’s holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. A true soul mate is probably the most important person you’ll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake."

My perception of love before was the common one- that there was a person out there that would be "my someone." But, really, my true soul mate, is one that has the gumption to make me a better person, even if it isn't easy. And, that I would do the same for him.

So, these 10 years of marriage haven't been easy. It is work. It does take time and patience and long suffering and understanding. But, if I take a break and catch my breath like today, I see that I'm becoming a better person because of him. He is my everything. He uplifts me in the most important ways- in my in my quest to be the person I am destined to be.

Steve, thank you for always being there for me. For being my strength. For being my hope. For being a wonderful father. For being my companion and partner. For being patient. For being my soul mate.

8 comments:

Kara said...

Happy Anniversary! I loved the quote that you shared and i would definitely have to agree with it. You guys are awesome!

Stephanie said...

WOW! I can't believe you've been married ten years! What are you doing to celebrate?

Lindsey said...

so sweet. and that picture of you guys is priceless- i love it!

congrats on 10 years. may many more decades pass you by together!!

Matt and Joanna said...

Happy Anniversary! I can't believe it's been 10 years. I remember your reception/party at Red Butte. It was beautiful! I hope you get to do something fun together.

Diana said...

Wow, ten years already? Congratulations!

Kristina said...

Congratulations! You both are amazing. I love that picture too... you both look incredible. Happy Anniversary!

Becky said...

what a beautiful and happy picture of you and Steve! I am so happy for you both - 10 years what a milestone! (not to mention 2 darling little girls!!)

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary! LOVE the family pic. Let's catch up soon :)