Thursday, May 21, 2009

My Grandfather

My grandfather passed away yesterday in the morning. It is never a call that you want to pick up. Death catches us when we least expect it, and sometimes it doesn't even seem real. But, old age is hard, and I'm confident that he is with my grandmother again and doesn't have the pains of this world.

He was a character. He had quite a sense of style and a passion for life. He played chess with me, he took me to the parks. I loved how he ate breakfast in the mornings- always a boiled egg. I loved the smell of his sweaters and how he wore scarves. He was a wonderful artist and architect, and I admired all of the art he painted of my grandmother.

Because my grandparents lived in another country, I didn't seem them as much as I wanted to, but I loved them dearly. I will miss them both very very much.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

I sent you an email before deciding to spy on your blog... So sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing. Losing someone you love is never easy. Will you be able to attend his services?

Ashley said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. That is such a great picture of him and his wife--he looks just like your dad! And yes I can tell how stylish he is. I love that you loved the smell of his sweaters. Even though my grandparents are in their 90s, it's going to be sad and somewhat shocking to lose them. I am sorry for your loss, my friend. I am glad you have such sweet memories of him.

teuscher travels said...

I am so sorry No matter how old it is always hard to lose a grandparent and all the memories that come flooding back.

Matt and Joanna said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your grandfather. I love the sweet picture of him and your grandmother.

Unknown said...

Dear Alie,
Thank you for your beautiful comment!
WE will miss him!
Hugs,
GIgi

fserrato said...

Hola Alie
This is the first time I see this page, it is great! Marcela sent me the link...
I just want to say now that I loved my dad and I am trying to "asimilate" his absense. Even though I know he is with my mother now and they are together, death is something so difficult to understand it will take some time to go on with everyday things. Hopefully our family will get a little closer.