Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I have to comment

Along with 9 million other viewers, we tuned into the opening season of Jon and Kate plus 8. (if you don't know what this is, that's ok. You are probably doing something more important.)

This show was so disturbing on so many levels that I'm sure all of you felt. But, I just kept on thinking- this family needs to get off TV and work on their marriage. No need to make it even more complicated than it already is. I can't even imagine getting a divorce with sixtuplets and twins and on a reality show? Talk about a mess.

But, more importantly, Steve and I just kept on saying how heartbreaking the whole situation is. Divorce is one of the most shattering things that can happen, especially with children... that I hope they can work it out.

In one more month, Steve and I will be married for 10 years. It hasn't been a walk in the park. It is hard work. There are always moments where I want to walk out the door and start life as a swinging single (as I'm sure he does sometimes too). But, I'd like to think that we are going to work on it and work on it until we fall over dead (literally).

I've often thought about going to a marriage boot camp or something- does this exist? I would love to go where there are other couples and a professional marriage counselor and just work through everything for a week. I know it sounds weird, but I think it sounds like a lot of fun... and so rewarding.

I think Jon is depressed. Depressed that he doesn't have a job, and maybe is going through some sort of midlife crisis (given that he got married so young and had children so fast.) Kate is obviously too critical. So- they both need to work on it... with professional help obviously. They just shouldn't give up- they need to both get humble and want this marriage to work. They've worked so hard up until this point, and recognize that having so many kids is ridiculously stressful, and take baby steps to heal what has been broken.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

so are they actually getting divorced? i just thought they denied the whole thing, got mad at the media, and realized that they need marriage counseling for the general needs that are SO VERY apparent.

poor kids.

Kristine Gray said...

The problem is that being on tv is their job and if they stop it they lose their income. So they need to figure out another way to support themselves. And yes, Jon looks depressed. He was married at 22, father at 24 and 8 kids by 27. They had no time as a couple or to figure out who they are individuals.