Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Flexibility

THIS PICTURE IS SO FREAKY! I can't even look at it- AHHHH!

I recently read an article about how women in their 30's lose almost everything- their muscle mass, their bone density, flexibility... it was semi-depressing given that I'm approaching that magical age! But- I am going to fight it! My dad picked up running in his early 30's - and he is winning trophies in his 60 age category... so if he can do it, so can I!!!

I have been working on my flexibility for the past month at the gym. I am NOT a flexible person- you can call me the tinman, because I seriously envy my friends who can manipulate their bodies in so many directions (well, not like this picture!!)

But- I can say... I am getting so much better! After each run, I devote around 15-20 minutes stretching. I used to dread it each time, but now I look forward to it- because it feels so good. I can see my muscles improve dramatically- it is amazing what our bodies can do.

Sadly, my running is getting worse- though. I used to be running so fast when I was training for races, but now I'm just slow and steady. But- I think working out ebbs and flows. I'm just glad I get myself up in the morning and go.

I want to take this killer advanced pilates class, but it is so intimidating... and people take it so seriously. Maybe I'll buy myself a little mat and sit in the back and pretend what I'm doing. Any takers?

2 comments:

teuscher travels said...

AAAH people shouldnt be able to do that!! but I am up for pretty much any classes as long as they are in the evening:) Post a pic of you hair! I cant wait to see it! and I wont be there on sunday so we need to communicate through blogs:)

Tracy said...

That creeps me out...probably b/c I can't even touch my toes! I would love to do Pilates...but it needs to be Pilates for Inflexiable people...aka ME!