Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Decisions

Sorry I haven't posted in a while-- Our lives are pretty predictable these days. Steve is working on the house 130% of his time when he's not at work. And, I am trying to keep my sanity while researching/picking out every little detail for the house.

After I picked the windows, I did research on doors, then I tackled the kitchen. I am trying to narrow down a cabinet maker right now, which has been utterly frustrating. Does it really cost 20K to make cabinets? Maybe I should get in the buisness!!

Most of all, I'm trying to make sure I'm set on the color scheme of the entire house, so that things fit together and don't look haphazard. Steve thinks I'm going way too white- but I think it will work. I'm very excited about it! My biggest decision was whether we were going to wood floors in the kitchen. The layout of our house is not completely square, so that tile would be easily put in on the floor. I think we've decided to continue the wood floors in the kitchen!

After watching "Jon and Kate plus eight," I decided that if their family (of 10 people) can have wood floors in their kitchen, so can we.

Yesterday I went to this fabulous tile store-- and am pretty sure that we are going with quartz for our countertops! Many interior designers say that marble/granite is out- and quartz is in-- not that I care!? The reason we will probably go with quartz is because it's as durable as granite- but we can get the color we want (white of course). If I could- I would get marble, but marble is not good for stains etc. So, quartz can look like marble, but act like granite! Yipee!!

I also think we have picked out the roof tiles and contractor and siding... AH!

Steve is working like a madman to frame the house this week, because the trusses (the basic skeleton of roofs) are coming on Saturday! Steve's family is also flying out on Saturday to help...

So with a lot of luck, we will have the house framed, including the roof done by Saturday?! Will it be possible?

I am most looking forward to Wednesday because Steve is giving me an early birthday present- an afternoon of pampering. I can't wait :)

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Wow! Stress! I remember my mouth nearly hitting the floor when my parents told me how much their cabinets were...there just wood aren't they?
Sounds like you are getting things figured out. I'm glad you get a day of pampering...you deserve it.

Tracy said...

you are going to be my "go to girl" when I actually get my rear in gear and get on my house planning!! So glad you are my friend :) Pamper away girl...you deserve it!!