Monday, February 2, 2009

Emilie!!!

Before I forget- I am SO sorry I have not picked up my phone for the past 4 days. It isn't because I didn't want to!! In the rush of life after Emilie's birth, we put my jacket (with my cell phone in the pocket) in the washing machine!! So- it died a very wet death... but I'm up and working today, so I am returning to the real world.

More importantly, EMILIE IS HERE!!!

This birth was a lot easier than Madeleine, so I happy to say that I agree with most that giving birth usually gets easier? Well, giving birth and easy shouldn't be in the same sentence, but you know what I mean!

Here are the details for those of you who want to know- but if you don't, just skip to the pictures!!

Wednesday Night: We took a trip to the hospital for some p gel to start my body to go into contractions. Luckily, it started... so it was a night of mild contractions about 5 minutes apart... which should be the time that you go into the hospital, but I didn't feel like they were bad enough.

Thursday Morning: Went into the hospital after taking with my midwife and checked in at around 8 am.

Thursday 8 am-2 pm: Started out with strong contractions, but then they started going away. "No" I said... I don't want to go home. "I think today is the day."

Thursday 2pm: Vitamin P (aka Pitocin or Oxytocin). We started on the lowest dose, and started to rev up.

Thursday 4 pm: Death. Pretty bad. I know some of you have heard this before, but I always thought of it as a marathon, that you can get through it... but once you get to the "transition" stage... all you want to do is die. I wanted to cave and get an epidural, but my midwife suggested that I get into the shower...

Thursday 5 pm: The worst pain imaginable. I don't even want to know what I looked like, but Steve said that I clawed my nails into his arms. It was a back labor- meaning that Emilie was looking down instead of up, so we did most of the labor on my side.

The rest is up to your imagination. I can't believe I did it without an epidural. I really truly and honestly thought I was going to die. I kept on screaming that I couldn't do it. And, after a while, I guess I did it. I was so glad it was over.

We decided her name will be Emilie Christine Leeflang.

Being an only child, I am so touched by having another daughter. Seeing Maddie obsess over her is amazing, and I can't wait for them to grow up together and have eachother for the rest of their lives. Families are beautiful.

Here are a couple of other photos- I haven't taken that many as I've been recovering, but I'll post more soon.


She doesn't really look like Maddie- we think she will have blond hair and blue eyes, but it's only a guess because she doesn't have that much hair or eye lashes...

The little feet.


Here is my favorite little sidekick. She is so excited about "Baby Emi."

12 comments:

The Mostess said...

Um, if having a midwife means crying on the shower floor (again!!) this cements my belief in drugs. No midwife here--that sounds positively miserable. Glad you lived to tell the horrible tale--again!! ;)

She is so cute...so tiny! And I must say that you don't look like you just gave birth to said adorable baby.

I am dropping off GF freezer food whether you like it or not!

Kristine Gray said...

She is so beautiful. And the first girl since Sarah so she can have a playmate. Congrats!

And I am dropping off GF food too! (tough)

The Carlii said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! We only wish we were there to see baby Emi in person and bring you some GF pizza in the hospital. I will try to call you very soon. Congrats on such a beautiful new addition!

Kristina said...

Congratulations!!! I am so excited to meet little Emilie!!

Ashley said...

She is so beautiful and tiny!!! I love her blond hair. That delivery did not sound like fun! Sorry about your phone, too.

Melissa L. said...

I felt the same exact way! It is way intense, but totally worth it. Didn't you feel much better after? Anyway, we are so excited about Emilie. We can't wait to meet her. She is absolutely beautiful! We love you guys!!!!

teuscher travels said...

She is Beautiful, and so are you! I love the name, and she is so tiny! Congrats and I hope you are doing well!

Jenni said...

Alie she's beautiful! I'm so excited for your family--congratulations!

~Jenni B

Diana said...

She is absolutely beautiful - even if she doesn't have much hair yet. Brian and I were excited to hear of her arrival. We're glad that mom and baby are doing well! Best wishes!

Elaine said...

Glad Emilie arrived safe and sound. Congratulations. Can't wait to hold this bundle of love.

Stephanie said...

She's adorable! I love the spelling of the name. You look great in that picture!! Congrats. I'm happy things went better than last time.

Jeff and Delese said...

Congrats Steve and Alie! I am so excited for you. We miss having you guys around here and can't wait until we can see you new little bundle of joy.