Thursday, February 19, 2009

Someone told me...


that they thought I had it totally put together. I just laughed.


I laugh because:


1) it takes me about 2-3 hours to get out of the house.

2) i can't take a shower unless there is enough time in the morning before steve leaves.

3) on valentines day, we went to Amici's for pizza, and i kept on staring at the people around us thinking "this is what it must feel like to leave prison....it is just so weird to be around so many people!"

4) my memory is shot. yesterday i seriously thought it was tuesday. i scheduled all of our "events" for the day... and didn't realize that it was wedesday until 7 pm.

5) i have been trying to pay our bills for the past 2 weeks, but haven't gotten around to it.


and the list continues.


so- i definitely don't have it together- and being a mom is quite a challenge. i think "work" is definitely easier most days.


my typical day usually runs something like this:


7:30 wake up

breakfast for maddie (emi is usually crying, wanting to be fed)

when steve leaves early, i am trying to get breakfast ready for maddie with one arm


i look pretty beat- dark blue circles under my eyes


7:30-10:00

try to put on diapers/get spit up on and have to change/brush maddie's hair-- which is seriously world war III at our house/clean the kitchen/pick up after our mess of the night/try to put everyone in clothes


10:00

walk to the park where maddie can run around


11:30-12:30

seduce maddie into wanting to go back home-- yes, this usually takes 1 hour


12:20-1:00

lunch


1:00

the sacred time of my day. the holy of holies. i have taken a nap every day since we came home from the hospital.


2:00/3:00

playdough/park/some activity... or if i'm lucky, time with a friend.


5:00

dinner? yikes. this is the worst time of day. everyone is melting, and i don't have a free hand to make dinner, but i'm still surviving on the blessings of other people who have made me frozen dinners.


6:00-8:00

bounce emilie (this is the worst time of day for her), entertain maddie with something, bath...


8:00

collapse on the couch and try to read a book/watch food network? think about when emilie will wake up next


8:00 pm-7:00 pm

usually wake up every 3 hours for feeding...

Although I feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog day, I am going to try and get out a little more often, if it is just for 20 minutes. Because, absence does make the heart grow fonder for some reason.

When I went out for dinner the other night w/o kids and husband, I missed them and appreciated them more that I did 2 hours earlier. I was rejuvinated and ready to hit the daily grind again...

so my next outing will be the gym where I will try to read all the trashy magazines that I can fit in 30 minutes!!

4 comments:

The Carlii said...

All I can tell you is that it DOES get better!! But those first few weeks (and months) are so hard! Here's a few tips: make dinner in the crockpot, maddie won't die if she sees 20 min. of tv while you take a shower, remember you're still in survival mode, it's okay if your house isn't clean every second--just go hug your kids. If it makes you feel better, Ty is 7 months today and I think I'm finally starting to get things together!

Leah said...

I totally understand where you are coming from. And now I'm about to undertake baby number 3, so we'll see how that goes being outnumbered by kids... Just enjoy the time you do have because they grow up oh so fast....

The Mostess said...

Martha's frickin' crazy. Remember she tried to run her neighbor over with her car when they were arguing over the property line??? NUTSO!! Plus, she used everyone's ideas and pawns them off as her own.

See, don't you feel better already?

Agreed--plop her in front of a DVD and take a shower already. And oatmeal in the crockpot (with a liner!) that automatically starts in the morning=breakfast with no work. Simplify until a little time passes and it gets easier.

Melissa L. said...

Alie, I just want to tell you that it does get easier. I remember feeling the same exact way. It really did take me three months to get into a routine. Yes, there are still days when Aaron comes home and I am not showered, dinner isn't finished, the house is a mess and both girls are crying...BUT THAT'S OKAY!!!!!