Monday, September 29, 2008

My Neighbor Totoro

I'm often behind the "cool stuff," but just in case you haven't heard about this movie- I think it may simply be the best cartoon/childrens movie I have ever seen. The movie was originally released in 1988 in Japan and is directed by Hayao Miyazaki, but it was rereleased by Disney in 2006 with English language tracks with the two main characters voices of Dakota and Elle Fanning.

It is nothing like the American cartons we see-- it's a lot slower paced, actually has a thoughtful storyline and is so creative. Maddie immediately loved it and is somewhat addicted to it (not a great thing), but it is definitely a family favorite.

Also- for those who have girls, it is nice to see a movie with strong female characters that they can relate to. (Doesn't it seem like every Disney movie released is very boy oriented, fast action scenes?) I'm sure that little boys will also love this movie-- it is adorable.

3 comments:

Hayley said...

what's not to love about a good totoro sit-down every now and then?

The Mostess said...

This scares me a little...

Sarah said...

I LOVE his films. We are especially addicted to Spirited Away and Hal's Moving Castle (a favorite of the boys).