Thursday, September 11, 2008

I don't have what it takes

I'm going to go out on a limb tonight and say that I am not a politician. I say this because I volunteered to call people for a proposition that Californians will vote on in November... and so far, I have had a horrible experience.

All I had to do is call random people on a list that I don't even know. But, I agonized over doing it for days. Not because I don't have opinions on the matter, but because I just don't like annoying people and getting hung up on, yelled at, or threatened.

Tonight I set aside an hour. "It's only an hour," I said to myself.

But- it was horrible. My favorite person I called tonight called me back (apparently getting my number from her caller ID), and wanted to know where I got her number, why I called her, that she didn't want to be bothered, and to never call her again... oh... and to take her off of the list that I have in front of me.

Whew. I understand where she is coming from- I don't like to be called and asked about things over the phone either, so I probably would have hung up to be honest? I guess I'm a bad person, but I'm not sure that I have the right stuff for this type of work.

So- I'm going to swallow my pride and finish the list I was given, but I don't think I'm doing such a good job or should be hired for the next round. I definitely have more respect for those who do put their necks out on the line for whatever they stand for... even if you're taking a poll on the phone.

Next time someone calls me, I'll try to be more patient.

4 comments:

Hayley said...

i'm treating you to some of your gluten-free oh-so-tasty amici's pizza...thanks for helping lighten my load!

Ashley said...

I got yelled at that I was a closed-minded, religious, right-wing Nazi tonight. I just love how open-minded and tolerant some people are.

Jen H. said...

I have to say, I opted to walk a neighborhood and knock doors instead of phoning. If people didn't want to come to the door, that was their choice. It was easier than phoning for me, since I, too, hate unwanted callers. I actually had a really positive experience.

Tracy said...

I totally feel you on this!! I got so nervous I kept flubbing over my words and calling it "preparation H". I may be more trouble then help in this cause! Good for you for sticking with it. I am almost temped to hire someone to finish all my calls.