Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Uplifting influences

Last night we had dinner with an friend from long ago. He is 60 and now commutes from Portland (works in Palo Alto for two days and lives in Portland with his family for the rest of the week.) This dinner meant so much to me because it reminded me of how much I need uplifting/challenging/interesting influences around me.

We met his family when we lived in Palo Alto and we have always looked up to them. They are smart, humble, funny, interesting, engaging, spiritual, genuine... I just feel like a better person when we spend time with them.

I guess you could say that he is a role model. This made me think of the role models around me, and how I can be more like them.

I think the characteristics that all of my role models share is their excellence in all that they do. Their Moxy. Not in a contrived, scripted way- but something genuine inside of them. They strive to be the best lawyers, mothers, doctors, teachers...but are also sincerely nice and modest. They give service almost on a daily basis. They care deeply about the people and community around them and give back to it.

I hope I'm like this one day.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I can't believe you brought me dinner on a night when you were going out! YOU are the role model!