Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Our Secret

Here is our secret to getting your newborn to sleep in the night:

1. Get really really tired
2. Don't have enough strength to get up when you hear him/her calling for you.

I know this sounds horribble, but I think in the past I've been too overly anxious in getting up when I hear Emilie waking up in the night. I assumed that she was hungry, and I would feed her.

But, for the past week, I have been so so so tired, that although I hear her moving, and starting to make sounds, I just can't get up. I am still in dream land. By this time, Emilie is done waiting for me, and puts herself back to sleep. It has been perfect.

So, for 4 nights in a row now, she has slept from 10:30-6:45. It has been life changing. Thank you Emilie.

Of course, it will change tonight, but I have been appreciating it thus far!

As for other tricks that I really think have help our kids go to sleep:
1. Get some type of noise maker (we have a air purifier) so it provides background noise and blocks out all noises going on... it has been great for Maddie so she doesn't hear Emilie wake up in the middle of the night. And- it is great for our room so Emilie's little sounds don't drive us crazy (she sleeps in our room so far) and vice versa.
2. Rev up feedings until night time
3. Create a little nest wherever they sleep (big cribs are scary)
4. Swaddling
5. Don't let them sleep to much during the day (of course let them sleep, but not to let them think that day time is night time)
6. Bigger babies (I really think bigger babies just sleep well. So, I guess that's a benefit to having a baby that weighs more...
7. They don't really sleep "through" the night until they get older... some people swear by 3 mo, some people 6 mo... so far, ours started sleeping pretty well from 3-6 mos
8. "EASY"- Eat, Activity, Sleep, (You time when they're sleeping)... I can't remember which book this came from, but I swear by it. I am always in this cycle every three hours.

And, luck. It's just luck of the draw. I really think I have been lucky/blessed. It's really more just the baby? Not really sure. But, I think some babies are just easier than others...

3 comments:

Kristina said...

Yay! That is such great news. I completely agree. Hope it continues.

Diana said...

Hopefully for your sake the trend will continue and Emilie will continue to sleep through the night. Here to many happy zzzz'z!

Hayley said...

i find that if people feed me & then tuck me in nice & snug into my nest, i sleep very well too :)

go emilie! you're a star!