Thursday, April 23, 2009

It's compost time!

Growing up, people in my neighborhood didn't recycle, and I never heard about compost before I went to college. But, now that we have our own little 4 x 4 backyard, I am so excited to compost!!! I know nothing about it other than what I've read, so I have a lot to learn...

I've already started collecting our "greens, " (vegetables and fruit waste) and now I'm in search for some sort of bin rather than just throwing it in a pile.

For some reason, it feels good to be self sufficient and not waste as much as we do. And- the science nerd in me loves to see how nature takes care of itself... now I just need to find a place to buy worms. (I've heard this helps a lot?)

Are there any composters out there? Do you have any advice for this novice?

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Matt has become compost-obsessed. We keep a pail on the counter next to the sink for kitchen scraps. We also purchased a compost tumbler for the garden - a big barrel on a pivot that you spin. (Matt had built a compost bin, but we were having RAT problems...) Matt's preference is to have a worm bin, but I protested; the thought of living worms under my kitchen sink was a little much. :)

Kristina said...

We composted in my classroom when I was teaching. We had several compost guests come and teach the kids how to do it. One of my staff members was obsessed, so he led most of it. We had a worm bin... but it was never inside, always outside the classroom. We also sent any scraps outside immediately after meals (nothing stayed inside) bc of rodents and ants... our classrooms were prone to infestations. I thought the worms were disgusting, but the kids LOVED them. We actually learned a lot about it at Hidden Villa. If you were to go on one of the weekend farm tours they have, you could learn even more about it from one of the guides :) My recommendation is keeping everything outside somehow!!