Saturday, July 12, 2008

Food

One of my favorite things in life is good food. The only problem is I am so impatient, that it takes a lot out of me to cook the things I really want to eat.

Lately, I have only wanted some of my super favorite favorite foods. Because I'm 1/2 Cuban and 1/2 Mexican/French/Italian (who knows), it is no surprise that my favorite foods are Latin American Foods of all storts and French food.

Here are a couple of my favorite "Latin" foods:


Tortas are basically heaven on earth, and you can't have them in the United States. They need to be eaten in Mexico, and the best I've had are in Mexico City. They are basically the best sandwiches you have ever eaten, and come in all sorts of flavors. My favorite is the "cubana." Just looking at this sandwich is making me want to go there right now.


I know that Avacado's aren't really a "food," or "cuisine," and they can't really be claimed by the Latin American countries, but they are used quite a bit in Hispanic cultures, and I absolutely am obsessed with them. I think I've had an avacado every day this week?! They are great in sandwiches, on soups, in quacamole... and by themselves.


Steve can tell you that I order Flan in whatever restaurant I can. I don't know why, but I just love it (probably because it reminds me of good memories with trips with my parents). I am really unhappy when restaurants try to turn it into something it's not (by adding strawberries and changing the caramel sauce.) Flan is flan, and I appreciate and want the flan that it is supposed to be..


My mom used to make plaintain chips for me when I was growing up. She doesn't cut the plaintains like this- but just straight down the plaintain, and then flattens it with the back of a cup. She sprinkled a little salt after they were fried, and I ate them until I was sick to my stomach. She ate a lot of them in Cuba growing up, and I'm so glad she shared them with me. They are delicious.

Finally, last but not least, watermellon juice is my favorite beverage hands down. You can get "liquados" in most Latin American countries- I don't know why this hasn't really caught on here. But- it is sooooooooo good. Just blend watermellon in the blender, strain it, put it in a glass, sit out in a hammock, close your eyes and savor the moment!!

4 comments:

The Mostess said...

You're making my mouth water! Let's got to Cha-Cha-Cha's in SF one of these days. The Cuban pork sandwich is to die for!

Jen H. said...

I am SO with you on the flan. I made a pan of it once and nobody else would eat it, so I ate a shocking amount of it all by myself.

And I'm with you on the avocados. And the watermelon juice. But I have to say that tamarind juice is probably my favorite.

Claudia Hong said...

I agree! Good food is heaven on earth! Does baby Leeflang #2 like these delicious things too?

Hayley said...

let's make watermelon juice! sounds so delish!