Friday, July 25, 2008

Before there was Dora the explorer, Teletubbies and Barney

I have been DYING to drive to Oakland to get my hands on some gluten free pizza I heard about on a web post. Before I stopped eating flour etc, I was a pizza fanatic. I love pizza- especially Hawaiian pizza... but alas. It's just not the same anymore (but getting close).

I was so excited when my fellow gluten intollerant friend was up to crossing the bay.... and when we decided to also hit "Fairyland" since it was so close...

Fairyland and Pizza- what could be better?

Fairyland is a little amusement park that was created before the days of Disneyland. It is absolutely adorable and so vintage. The theme of the park centers on classic stories (humpty dumpty, alice and wonderland...). It doesn't have a lot of rides (only 3?), but it has little mazes, playstructures, animals... it is so fun. It is definitely a lot slower paced than amuzement parks these days (which is so fabulous). The kids really enjoyed themselves (but I have to admit, I think I more fun than they did).

I am secretly obsessed with Alice and Wonderland-- so I was so excited when we came to that part of the park...

Here are some pics:

The delectibly scrumptious pizza place called Pizza Rustica-- and it has normal pizza as well- Zagat rated for years...

OHHHHHHHHHHH. YUM.


Um, can you see how many pizza's we ordered? Was there 7 in all? It was completely ridiculous, but I ate a whole pizza by myself, and took one home. It was so yummy.

This is the entrance to Fairyland!!! YAY!!



Trapped in a western jail!!! (Western town was so fun....)



Aren't the colors on this train so great? They should still make things like this...

AHHH! Alice and Wonderland!!! You go through this maze, and then you go down into tunnels under the park! It was so awesome.

This is her first cotton candy...


Maddie on the yellow brick road!!!


Recognize this story?



They had a cute little puppet show..

Watching the puppet show. Maddie adores these two girls. Whatever they do, she does.



This vintage stuff was everywhere. It really took you back to a quieter/quainter time.

This was one of the few rides... Maddie loved it.




My favorite picture of the day. Her face was priceless here...


At the end-- "Chillaxing" as my friend A would say.








4 comments:

teuscher travels said...

I totally went there at a kid!! And remember loving it, what a fun day and I am so glad you got your pizza!!

Hayley said...

yay for pizza & fairyland! looks like so much fun!

The Mostess said...

That was such a fun day...I'm kid-less, and I had a blast with you crazy ladies! Perhaps it was because we had 7 pizzas....

Kristene Francis Robertson said...

What a fun place to go and the pizzas look delicious!