Friday, October 19, 2007

Tightropes


When I was a little girl, I thought I could do it all. I was going to be a doctor, have four kids, have a huge house, a dog, a tall dark and handsome husband etc etc.

And, for the most part, I am really happy with my life... but it is really hard to walk the tightrope of work/family.

I have read/talked/pondered about this work/life balance at naseum, and I'm sure you're getting sick of it, just as much as I am, but unfortunately, I think about it all the time. How can I be the best mom and also pursue my professional interests at the same time in the United States in 2007 where our system is so inflexible for moms and dads?

I quit my job because they wouldn't consider more flexible options. So, then I chose another job that is a lot more flexible. It's not as glamorous or exciting as my last job, but it's okay. I still like it. Today, while I was driving back from work, I was feeling pretty good about the tightrope that I'm on.

I think a lot about a couple that I admire when I think about this topic. He stayed home for a while, then she stayed home for a while, and their kids are amazing. I'm not saying that I want to do exactly what they did, but I admire them, because they did what was right for both of them and they succeeded (I'm sure with a lot of prayer each step of the way).

I hope you are happy on your tightrope whatever it may be!

1 comment:

The Mostess said...

I know what will help you walk the tightrope of life...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hksil-KkebQ

Make it big!
Kj