Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Being Thankful


As of late, I feel like I have been bombarded with bad news and sad stories. Last nights news was that our good friend's parents house burned down in the San Diego fires. So far, the total this morning was around 1300 homes. I can't imagine how that must feel, and I have been thinking of them non stop.

It is at times like these, where I like to stop and re-evaluate what really matters. Life is very fragile and situations can change at any moment, so I hope I can try to be thankful for what I have and what I can contribute.

My favorite story this week was from my friend who is devoting a year of her life in India to teach and create a science program for children who have nothing. They were skeptical of her, but she said she is winning them over slowly. Apparently, teachers are rarely goofy or silly, so she has been using that as her method to interest them, and they love it.
She is a great example to me and inspires me when I receive her e-mails.

One of my favorite quotes this week is:

"Character is the manifestation of what you are becoming. Strong moral character results from consistent correct choices in the trials and testing of life."






1 comment:

Ashley said...

I am so scared for the people affected by the fires. That is so incredibly scary. I'm sorry about your friend's house.