Monday, January 5, 2009

Backbreaking work

For the past two weeks, we have been working around the clock to get the house in a state where we can move in. Steve has been there 12-16 hours a day, and I try to be there as much as I can with poor Maddie entertaining herself (with the help of her new play kitchen and some DVD's).

Wednesday is our goal- as PG&E will be hooking us up to some power.

I have a new found respect for construction workers. It is hard, monotonous, backbreaking work...and I think sitting behind a desk is sooo much easier. I can't wait to be a normal person again.


These are the exciting things we have been doing:


This is my friend. For those of you who don't know, when you put trim around a window, there are large gaps between the trim and the wall which is usually filled with calk... but we opted for wood putty as the gaps were so large. Wood putty is also sandable, so it makes it a lot easier when you prime and paint.


Putting trim on the windows was quite an ordeal. But- they are done... (this is a picture of trim around windows for those of you who have been asking me what trim is :) hee hee )



This is me putting putty inbetween the gaps. I have aged quite a bit as you can see... as well as am starting to look like a middle aged man.


Why I decided to paint our windows white- I sure don't know. It has been the biggest pain in the universe... painting these divided window panels takes SOOOOO long. (probably 12 hours per window? At least that's what it feels like!!)


One of my other favorite things to do is put calk/wood putty over all the staples in the baseboard and trim around doors! My fingers are totally shot.

Steve has been installing all of the doors and putting in the trim... he should be done tonight!!!

And, finally- I called our best friends... the cleaning service to help us get all of the sawdust out of our house before we start moving in tomorrow. This is our conversation about this topic:
Alie: I called a cleaning service to clean the house.
Steve: Huh? We don't have any money! I was planning on doing that.
Alie: (with a look of determination of a woman due to have a baby in 10 days). I called the cleaning service to clean the house. They are coming on Tuesday morning.
Steve: Ok.
(Poor guy!)

5 comments:

The Mostess said...

You're WAY preggo...you win!

Say hi to our cleaners... ;0

The Gamber Family said...

Please post lots of photos so those of us living far far away can see all the excitement (both the house and the impending baby!!!!!)

Diana said...

In a way that most people don't understand - Brian and I feel your pain! There is nothing better than the smell of new paint because it means that the project is close to being finished. Hooray that you will be moving in this Wednesday! Can't wait to hear about and see the new baby!

leakysieve said...

I can just picture you crouching on the floor with putty on your fingers. You are an amazing pregnant woman!! (but I envy you not :)

Sjaanie said...

Hey guys! We found your blog through Joanna's! Working on houses is a lot of work. We can empathize! We hope you are making headway. Good luck!