Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The last finale


Friday night I went to the book release party of "Breaking Dawn," the last of the "Twilight" book series. I was waiting for this night all summer, because I am basically obsessed with the books.
The party consisted of making shirts, going to the cheescake factory and then to Borders, where the book was to be distributed at 12:01 am. The party throwers took this very seriously!!
I had a lot of fun hanging out with people "almost as" and "way more" obsessed than myself. It was a good time- especially because I have been locked up in my house pretty much all summer (b/c Steve is working on the house all the time! poor guy!!)
To the point: I was expecting the party to be a huge RAVE! Lights, music, twilight inspired music. As we approached the doors... nothing! Only a lone employee sitting behind a desk with a list of names of people who wanted the book. But wait it get's better. "Where is the party?" we asked. "Go in the back, you'll see it." We quickly walked to the back and I almost stopped dead in my tracks.
11 and 12 year olds sitting on the floor dressed up as vampires playing cards.
I felt pretty old and pretty ridiculous.
I guess that's what you get when you read juvenile fiction. What was I expecting afterall?
After I picked up my dignity off the floor, I excused myself (I love my sleep too much), and bought the book at Costco the next day.
I finished the book yesterday-- and I was very pleased with the ending. I don't want to spoil the book for anyone, but Meyer definitely didn't miss out on anything. She tied it up, put in everything I wanted... it was a great read.
Of course now I'm sad and feel the void. But, of course I would do it all over again.

3 comments:

Hayley said...

All I have to say is should have come camping. I hoped you learned your lesson :)

The Mostess said...

True dat!!

Melissa L. said...

I am sad to be finished with the book as well. I want the story to keep going on forever. I agree with you...it was an excellent read! We can talk about when you come next week.