Sunday, December 7, 2008

Getting in the Christmas Spirit

In years past, I have to admit that I was not a huge Christmas fan. It is mostly my fault, I guess, with too much to do, and focusing on what isn't important. Christmas can be too stressful!!

But, this year, I have been looking at Christmas through Maddie's eyes as I have tried to simplify and appreciate the joys of the little things.

Also, we usually travel during Christmas time, which doesn't really help with the stress, but this year we are staying home! For the first time. And- we are excited. Of course, we are sad that we won't be able to spend time with extended family, but on the up side, there is so much to discover here and we are trying to make it peaceful.

These are a couple of things that we've done so far-

1. Christmas at the Park

Maddie and I have gone down to Christmas at the Park in San Jose! They have little figurines, rides and an awesome carousel:

She, of course, is obsessed with carousels and could ride this thing all night. I am wondering if I can brave ice skating? They have an outdoor ice skating rink, but I'm not sure that 1) a pregnant woman and 2) 2 year old should be going out there together?
2. The Christmas Parade
Yesterday, we woke up early, put on our scarves and headed down to see the parade... it was so easy to find parking!? Ooops. The parade was today not yesterday?! We still had fun, though, because many of the dancers were practicing out on the streets, and Maddie loved to hear the music and watch them move around.

3. Steve and I have miraculously gone out 2 nights in a row with a babysitter at home watching Maddie? Miracles do happen!! Yesterday, we made a little gingerbread house and won the best house at the party? I'm not sure how that happened, but here is the little masterpiece.

My favorite addition is the little car that Steve made! Really creative.
3. Baking.
Our house smells like cinnamon, spice and everything nice right now! I love it :) I made 100 little pumpkin/raisin/walnut cookies for a cookie swap party and for some people that I want to thank for being so nice lately.


I made them with real flour- so I can't taste them, but they smell good? I hope they don't end up being horrible!!

4. Finishing Christmas cards
I have had an influx of Christmas cards for my photography clients, and they are so beautiful! I get so exited when the proofs come back and then deliver them in little bags. Personally, I love getting Christmas cards and seeing kids grow, and reading how people are doing. So, it has been a lot of fun getting these together...

1 comment:

The Mostess said...

I think you need to be a little more cocky on your blog.

Instead of "I made them with real flour- so I can't taste them, but they smell good?"

It should be "I made them with real flour- so I can't taste them, but they smell good!!!!"

I can't vouch for how they tasted either, but they sure smelled and looked good.