Monday, March 9, 2009

Um, never mind!

So, just in case you thought everything was free sailing at our house, let me backtrack.

The day after I posted that Maddie was a little angel in time out, we began to see the uglier, redder, louder Maddie: the Maddie that kicks, pushes, turns bright red, shrieks- not yells... it hasn't been that pretty.
Today I took her to deposit a check and was planning to drive to Costco. After depositing the check, she saw Safeway and wanted to ride the little car in front of the carts. After telling her that we weren't going to Safeway, but Costco, she completely transformed into the angriest little tomato you have ever met.
So angry, that I couldn't strap her into her carseat because she was kicking and punching me...once I got her in, she puts out her legs so I can't close the door. That was awesome. Then, she utterly loses control and starts to choke herself into throwing up. And, if that isn't bad enough, she somehow finds a way to get herself out of the carseat straps on her upper half, and hangs out on the side of her carseat trying to pull herself out of the seat while I'm driving.
I drive her home, put her in time out, go to the bathroom and splash cold water on my face.
This was the second time this happened today.
Of course I still love her! But, it is exhausting.

7 comments:

Kristina said...

Call me if you need a break tomorrow or Wed. We'd love to hang out with Maddie at the park so you can run errands, get a nap, or just a break w/out your little tomato :)

Ashley said...

I'm totally laughing--I'm sorry, I know it's horrible, but it's so funny how you described it and misery loves company, i.e., I'm glad Charlie's not the only one. She is pretty clever to stick her legs out so you can't shut the door!

The Gamber Family said...

Gotta admit, I was laughing too. Welcome to toddler-hood!!

Just remember--at least she's being a pain for you and not doing something mean to her sister.

Lindsey said...

OHHH!!!! That is funny, my kids have never done anything like that, especially not on a regular basis. And I never have to restrain myself with all my strength from spanking (or worse) my children. Weird.

Kidding. I remember before Christian was born thinking, how will I ever love another child like I love Ava. Then we had the baby and I had to remind myself, "love Ava, love Ava!" It is a hard time.

We would love to have a playdate sometime too. Let me know.

leakysieve said...

It is at those times that I kind of understand parents who spank the living daylights out of their kids. I don't condone it, but there are times when I am sorely tempted.

Sadly all have little tomatoes sometimes, I am sorry that you got yours combine with sleepless nights.

I hope today is better.

leakysieve said...

It is at those times that I kind of understand parents who spank the living daylights out of their kids. I don't condone it, but there are times when I am sorely tempted.

Sadly all have little tomatoes sometimes, I am sorry that you got yours combine with sleepless nights.

I hope today is better.

Sjaanie said...

I am so sorry that you are experiencing this, but I can TOTALLY empathize! There is nothing like trying to get a screaming, kicking, hitting, headbutting kid into a carseat! Wow! And, I hate the "car carts" at the stores! The things don't maneuver, I always end up taking out a display or too at Home Depot, they seem like germ pits, and the kids always want to ride in them!

One thought for the getting arms out of the car seat straps...if you take the straps out of the car seat and remove the buckle, you can tie knots below the buckle, rethread the buckle onto the straps, and thread it back in. It works like a charm! The top buckle can't move down!

Last thing...sorry...I have a friend that was in your ward in California. Her name is Annie Johnson! Small world!